A person requires laparoscopy when it is required to examine the organs inside the abdomen. It is quite low-risk, minimally invasive procedure which requires only minimal cuts.
The surgery requires a special instrument called laparoscope which the doctor used to examine the organs inside abdomen. The instrument has long, thin, a high-capacity light with a high-resolution in the front. The camera sends images to a video monitor when it is inserted to the abdomen. The doctor can also get samples during the biopsy.
When is laparoscopy required?
There are some casesrelated to the abdominal problems whenimaging techniques are required:
- Ultrasound, which uses high-frequency sound waves to create images of the body.
- CT scan, which is a series of special X-rays that take cross-sectional images of the body.
- MRI scan, which uses magnets and radio waves to produce images of the body.
- Laparoscopy is performed when these tests don’t provide enough information or insight for a diagnosis. The procedure may also be used to take a biopsy, or sample of tissue, from a particular organ in the abdomen.
There are some organs which can be examined with such treatment –
- small intestine and large intestine (colon)
- pelvic or reproductive organs
The doctor can easily detect various diseases like abdominal tumor, fluid in the abdominal cavity, liver disease, and degree of cancer.